You Must Be Born Again
Sunday, October 13, 2019
John 7:50-51, 19:38-42; Romans 5:12; Jeremiah 29:13; John 6:37; Matthew 7:7-8, 11:28; James 1:5; Luke 5:12-13; 1 Peter 1:22-23; James 1:18; Ephesians 5:26; John 7:38,39; 2 Corinthians 5:17; Galatians 2:20, 6:15; Ephesians 2:1,4-5; Titus 3:5; Romans 6:1-11; 1 Corinthians 3:1-2; Acts 16:28-31; John 1:13; 1 Peter 1:3; Colossians 2:13; Ezekiel 36:25-26
1. If you have questions and are genuinely seeking, come to Jesus – He will be AVAILABLE to you.
2. Just because we cannot grasp something doesn’t mean it is not TRUE.
3. Being religious, being a leader, being in church, being knowledgable, being a ‘good’ person, being well-known, being well-liked, having wealth, knowing your Bible – none of this (nor all of these combined) will SAVE you.
4. You can’t move forward until you’ve BEGUN. You can’t grow until you’re BORN.
5. Being born again is NOT about rehabilitation, remodeling, renovation, reformation, or even restoration. It is a transformation, a REGENERATION, a renewal.
Taking it further to help you THRIVE…
[For more info on joining a THRIVE Group, visit thrivekg.org/thrive-groups.]
1. Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged, or confused you?
2. What do we learn about Nicodemus from these verses? Why did he come to Jesus?
3. What is the difference between outward reform and inward regeneration? What is the significance of the word “must” in John 3:7?
4. It might seem that Jesus’ response to Nicodemus came out of nowhere; but Jesus saw Nic’s heart. Sometimes when we are reading the Bible or hearing a sermon/message, God (the Holy Spirit) seems to “change the subject” on us! Perhaps we come with one question (or expectation), but He seems to want to talk (to us) about something else. Describe a time this has happened to you. What does this tell you??
5. What types of activities and pursuits do people wrongly put their trust in for salvation? What lesson does Jesus have for them in these verses?
6. Have you been born again? (How do you know your answer is correct?)