Waiting for the Promise
Acts – The Church is Born
Sunday, October 22, 2017
Background: (v.1-3; Col. 4:14; 2 Tim. 4:11; Acts 16:11; Luke 1:3; 1 Cor. 15:6; Matthew 16:18)
1.We must be careful not to get AHEAD of God.
(v.4-5; Luke 24:29)
2.The Person of the Holy Spirit will always be WITH me to help me.
(v.4-5; John 14:16-18, 23-26; Numbers 27:18; Judges 13-16; 1 Samuel 10:10, 16:12-13; Matthew 28:20; 1 Corinthians 2:12-13)
3.The Person of the Holy Spirit will always reside IN me as a seal of God’s PROMISE to me.
(v.4-5; Ephesians 1:13-14; 1 Thessalonians 5:19; Ephesians 4:30; Romans 8:9; 1 Corinthians 3:16-17, 6:19-20)
4.Jesus didn’t come to change the old, but to EXCHANGE it for something altogether new!
(v. 6-7; John 18:36; Matt. 24:36; Isa. 40:31; 2 Cor. 5:7,17)
5.The Power of the Holy Spirit will come UPON me so I can accomplish His PURPOSE for me.
(v.8; Ephesians 5:18; Galatians 5:16; Romans 6:11-13)
6.We will not LEAK His presence, but we can “LEAK His power.” Pray for filling!
(Galatians 5:16-17; Romans 6:11-13)
- Absolute Surrender (by Andrew Murray)
- A Disruptive Faith (by A.W. Tozer)
- Hudson Taylor’s Spiritual Secret (by Dr. and Mrs. Howard Taylor)
- They Found the Secret (by V. Raymond Edman)
Taking it further to help you THRIVE…
1. Think of a time when you have acted impulsively and gotten “ahead of” the Lord. How did this situation turn out? What might you have done differently?
2. Would you say that the power from the Holy Spirit is something you have never experienced, once experienced in the past, or experience regularly? What evidence do you have to support your answer?
3. Andrew Murray said, “Being filled with the Spirit is simply this—having my whole nature yielded to His power. When the whole soul is yielded to the Holy Spirit, God Himself will fill it.” What does “yield” mean? What do you have a difficult time yielding to Him?