The Road Marked For Us. Rooted #5: Holiness
Sunday, June 2, 2019
Persevering in being SET APART
This is the 5th message in a 7-sermon series called “Rooted” (foundations of the Christian Faith.)
It’s who we are…
(Romans 8:27; John 17:9; 1 Corinthians 3:23, 6:19,20; 2 Corinthians 5:17; 1 Peter 1:15-16; Hebrews 12:14)
1. I am SET APART and not MY OWN.
Doing, Loving, Walking
(Micah 6:1-8; Isaiah 1:14; Hosea 6:6; Amos 5:21; Matthew 12:7; 2 Timothy 2:13; Psalm 51:15,16)
2. “DOING justice” is about right ACTIONS.
3. “LOVING mercy” is about being persistently LOYAL in love.
4. “WALKING humbly” means recognizing God’s ability and my absolute DEPENDENCE on it.
(Galatians 5:16-17; 1 John 2:16; Ephesians 4:30-31, 5:1-18; 1 Thessalonians 5:19; Acts 5:3, 7:51; Psalm 106:33; Isaiah 63:10; 1 Corinthians 2:14; Zechariah 7:12)
5. We can LISTEN to our flesh or to the Holy Spirit.Taking off, putting on / Running from, running to
(1 Timothy 6:3-5,11; Colossians 3:5-11)
6. What you FEED will grow, and what you STARVE will die.
Mind your mind…
(Romans 12:2; Colossians 3:1-4)
7. Don’t let the world tell you how to THINK, but have a mind that is constantly being RENEWED!
Not being content with the spiritual status quo
(2 Peter 1:5-9)
8. We must be committed to GROWING!
Just a word about TRIALS and TEMPTATIONS…
(1 Peter 1:6-7; Matthew 7:24-27; 1 Corinthians 10:12-13; Hebrews 2:18; Matthew 4:1-11; James 4:7)
9. In T & T, we are not ALONE and we are never TRAPPED!
Taking it further to help you THRIVE…
1.Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged, or confused you?
2.Despite how we might feel at any given time, the Bible says that we are holy. What does this mean?
3.Listening to our flesh is very easy, but listening to the Holy Spirit can be much more challenging. How can we cultivate the discipline of yielding to the Holy Spirit?
4.In Colossians 3:2, Paul tells us to set our minds on things above, not on things of the earth. What does this mean? Give some examples of ways we are guilty of doing the opposite, and talk about the consequences of such a mindset.
5.Discuss the implications of 1 Corinthians 10:13.