The Authority Of Jesus
Sunday, January 5, 2020
1. ‘Religion’ doesn’t make us better – it BLINDS us to Who Jesus is and to the riches that abound in Him.
(Genesis 2:2-3; Colossians 1:17; Mark 2:23-27; Luke 14:1-6; Matthew 23; John 14:23; Matthew 15:8; Hosea 6:6)
2. We should not refrain from SPEAKING what is TRUE because it is unpopular or dangerous.
(Ezekiel 2:5-7; Isaiah 30:9; Ephesians 4:15; Matthew 14:1-12)
3. Jesus has the authority over LIFE and DEATH.
(John 11:34-44; Luke 7:14-15; Hebrews 10:19-22; John 10:9; Ephesians 3:12; Matthew 27:51; 1 Corinthians 15:54-57)
4. Jesus is the authority who will JUDGE.
(2 Corinthians 5:10; Revelation 20:11-15; Romans 2:5-6, 5:8-9; Hebrews 9:27; Matthew 16:27; Acts 17:31)
5. Have I YIELDED my life to the AUTHORITY of Jesus?
(Mark 9:29; John 14:6; John 1:12; 1 John 5:11-12; Luke 7:1-10)
Taking it further to help you THRIVE…
[For more info on joining a THRIVE Group, visit thrivekg.org/thrive-groups.]
1. Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged, or confused you?
2.The religious leaders were guilty of adding extra rules, regulations, and expectations to the Law God had given His people. (This is called ‘legalism’.) In what ways might we be guilty of the same thing?
3.Jesus spoke truth to the religious leaders, knowing full well what their resistance to it would be. Describe a time when speaking the truth got you in trouble. Would you do it again? If so, would you change anything about how you spoke?
4.Just as Jesus was One with the Father, He prayed that we would be one with Him and with each other (John 17:20-21). In what ways might you be living in resistance to / disunity with God? What might need to change?
5.In what ways do you need to yield more of your life to the authority of Christ? What is stopping you?