More of Him, Less of Me.
Sunday, October 27, 2019
1. When it comes to time with Jesus (and others), STICK AROUND awhile – don’t just pass through.
(Hebrews 3:13; Acts 2:42; Proverbs 27:17; Romans 12:10; Ecclesiastes 4:9-10)
2. Make good use of the CONDITIONS and opportunities God has provided.
(Matthew 14:3,4; John 9:4; Galatians 6:10; Ephesians 5:16)
3. Do not allow others (or yourself) to sow seeds of DISCONTENTMENT because of where God has you or DISCORD (jealousy) with others because of where He has them.
(John 1:27,30; Colossians 3:15; Proverbs 29:25; 2 Timothy 1:7; Psalm 75:6,7; John 21:22; James 3:16; Proverbs 14:30; 1 Corinthians 3:3; Exodus 20:17; Galatians 5:26)
4. Regardless of circumstances in my life, POINTING someone to Jesus and leading someone to give Him their ATTENTION is a reason to rejoice!
(John 1:7,23; Isaiah 40:3; 2 Corinthians 5:20; Ephesians 6:20;
5. If I quit or walk away from God’s calling, I’m actually making MUCH OF ME.
(1 Corinthians 9:24; 2 Chronicles 15:7; Isaiah 41:10; Galatians 1:10, 6:9; Joshua 1:9; Hebrews 12:1-3; Proverbs 29:25; Psalm 118:8; Ezekiel 2:5-7)
6. Even as we become less and He is exalted more, He is still a GIVER.
(Galatians 4:4-5; James 1:5,17; Matthew 7:11; Psalm 37:4; Romans 8:32; John 14:27)
Taking it further to help you THRIVE…
[For more info on joining a THRIVE Group, visit thrivekg.org/thrive-groups.]
1. Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged, or confused you?
2. What is noteworthy about John’s attitude/response to Jesus’ rise in popularity?
3. How do you feel when others succeed (and perhaps you don’t?) How should we respond when others seem to ‘advance’ more than us?
4. What can envy and jealousy do to brothers and sisters in Christ? What can we do to resist this?
5. Pastor John said this on Sunday: “If there is a attraction between the best man and the bride, there’s a problem.” What application(s) can we draw from this statement? (Think about: Who is the Groom? Bride? Best man?)
6. Very practically, how can I decrease and Jesus increase??