Let It Shine!
Sunday, July 28, 2019
1. We must take what God has freely given us and GROW in it!
(Ephesians 2:8,9; Matthew 24:13; Hebrews 3:14, 6:11-12; 2 Peter 1:5-8; 1 Peter 4:17)
2. God works IN me so I can work OUT my salvation.
(Philippians 1:6; Ephesians 2:10; Matthew 5:16; Hebrews 13:21; Proverbs 3:5; Matthew 7:7; Galatians 2:20; John 15:5)
In order to keep my bulb from growing dim:
3. Do everything without COMPLAINING to or ARGUING with others or God.
(Isaiah 55:9; Proverbs 3:6; 1 Corinthians 10:10; 1 Peter 4:9; Numbers 14:2)
4. While not SEPARATING ourselves from society, and while building bridges, let’s maintain a recognizable DIFFERENCE from the world in which we live.
(1 Peter 4:3-4; Matthew 5:16; Romans 12:2; Psalm 1:1; John 17:14-19; Proverbs 1:15; 1 Peter 2:9; Matthew 7:13; Hebrews 12:1; 2 Corinthians 6:14-15)
5. Hold fast ONTO the Word for my own life, and hold out the Word UNTO everyone unashamedly.
(2 Timothy 4:3-4; Romans 1:16; Psalm 119; 1 John 2:15-17; 2 Timothy 3:2)
In all this, remember the POWER of LIGHT:
6. Light REVEALS what is hidden.
7. Light stimulates GROWTH.
(John 8:12, 12:46)
8. Light provides CLARITY for the way ahead.
(Psalm 18:28, 119:105)
9. Light SHOCKS – attracts immediate attention.
Two men whose bulbs were BRIGHT: Timothy and Epaphroditus
10. Timothy had a genuine CONCERN for people, and he DID something about it.
(1 Peter 5:2-3)
11. Epaphroditus was willing to risk his well-being for the well-being and GROWTH of OTHERS.
Taking it further to help you THRIVE…
1. Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged, or confused you?
2. In what ways can I recognize growth in my spiritual journey over the past few months? What is different in my life?
3. Do you ever find yourself knowing the right thing to do, but lacking the desire to do it? What should we do (and not do) at times like this? (What is a verse of Scripture you can cling to when you are in this wrestling match?)
4. Read Jesus’ prayer in John 17:14-19. We have often heard it (rightfully) said that we as Christ- followers are not of this world. But what relationship is Jesus praying we WILL have with the world? In what ways might we sometimes be too separate from the world? How can we live out Jesus’ prayer for us?
5. Review the 4 things light accomplishes, and provide a spiritual illustration for how you have witnessed each of these in your journey with Christ.