Don’t Miss It (part 2)
(Luke 1:5-25, 57-80; Matthew 2:1-20; Luke 1:51-53)
(May NOTHING cause us to miss ANYTHING that Christmas represents.)
What we learn from ZECHARIAH and ELIZABETH…
1. Zechariah and Elizabeth never overlooked PRAYER, the answer to which would have a greater impact than they’d ever imagine!
(1 Thessalonians 5:16-18; Philippians 4:6-7; Mark 11:22-25; Matthew 6:6-8; Genesis 21)
2. Zechariah and Elizabeth weren’t intimidated into going with what “THEY” (maybe everyone) said.
3. When Zechariah’s tongue was loosed, he allowed the Holy Spirit to speak through him a message of praise and HOPE.
(Luke 3:1-18; Isaiah 40:3-5; John 1:6-9, 3:30)
What we learn from King HEROD…
4. Herod missed the true King by fighting for a POSITION that wasn’t rightfully his.
(Luke 1:51-53; James 3:14-16)
5. Herod missed the One who could be Lord of his life because he was too focused on lording his own POWER over others.
(Matthew 20:25-26; 1 Peter 5:3; 1 John 2:16; Luke 9:46-48, 12:15)
6. Herod ‘missed Christmas’ because he was all wrapped up in HIMSELF.
(Jeremiah 31:15; Romans 2:8, 16:18; Philippians 2:3; Luke 17:33
Taking it further to help you THRIVE…
1. Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged, or confused you?
2. John the Baptist had a special calling on his life as a herald of Christ. In what ways are we to be like John the Baptist?
3. Elizabeth was in seclusion for 5 months. What are some thoughts she might have been thinking during this time? What can happen to us (maybe good, maybe not so good) when we have a lot of time to think?
4. Herod lived his life constantly feeling like someone was out to get him. What is life like for a person like this? When might you have felt the same way, and how did it affect your day-to-day living?
5. Simply stated, Herod missed Jesus because he was so wrapped up in himself. How might self-focus be hindering your reception of and relationship with Jesus?