A Different Kind Of Harvest
Sunday, November 24, 2019
(Part 3 of a 3-part series in John 4)
1. Let’s begin by praying we would GRASP the enormous gift Jesus and life in Him is!
(Ephesians 3:20; 1 John 3:1; Romans 5:1,8; 2 Corinthians 9:15; Ephesians 2:8; James 1:17)
2. There’s often RESISTANCE between my thoughts, plans, and intentions – and God’s.
(Isaiah 46:9-10, 55:8-9; Ephesians 3:20; 2 Corinthians 10:5; Romans 12:1; Proverbs 3:5; Colossians 3:2)
3. Despite our struggles, limitations, and everyday issues (which we all have), He wants us to join Him in His mission to reach OTHERS.
(Matthew 28:19-20; 1 Corinthians 12:7; Matthew 5:16, 9:35-38; Luke 19:10; John 17:4)
4. Let’s not allow ourselves to get distracted; let’s lift our EYES and SEE the obvious!
(1 Corinthians 7:35; Philippians 2:3; 1 John 2:15; Hebrews 12:2; Colossians 3:1-2,12; Isaiah 49:15-16; Matthew 9:36; Mark 6:34; Zechariah 10:2; Ezekiel 34:5)
5. My STORY matters!
(Psalm 107:2; Romans 12:10; 1 Chronicles 16:8; 1 Peter 3:15; Revelation 12:11; Acts1:8; Luke 8:39)
6. Sermons, stories, and encouragement from others are GOOD, but direct revelation from the Holy Spirit through His Word is the BEST!
(Romans 10:17; Jeremiah 33:3; John 8:47; Hebrews 4:12; John 6:63; 2 Timothy 3:16,17; Psalm 119)
7. God, SEND ME into the harvest field! (Isaiah 6:8)
Taking it further to help you THRIVE…
[For more info on joining a THRIVE Group, visit thrivekg.org/thrive-groups.]
1. Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged, or confused you?
2. We saw last week how Jesus’ disciples, upon returning from getting food, saw Him talking to the woman and probably wanted to say something against it, but didn’t. Then this week, we saw them urging Him to eat, while He told them He had a different kind of food. In what way(s) lately have I had thoughts, plans, and intentions that might have been contrary to God?
3. Jesus told His disciple to “lift up your eyes and look at the fields…” (John 4:35). What are the dangers of failing to recognize the calling and commission God has given us? What causes us to be complacent and lack a sense of urgency?
4. John 4:39 says “many of the Samaritans of that city believed in Him because of the word of the woman who testified…” When was the last time you had an opportunity to share your ‘story’ with someone (testimony of Jesus’ encounter with you)? Do you think this is important for you? For the person you are telling? Why / Why not?
5. What hesitancies do you have about being sent into the harvest field / telling your story / participating more actively in the Great Commission (Matt. 28:19-20)? Are you willing to ask for help??